Dr. Siddharth Kharkar
MBBS, MD (Neurology), MHS
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar is a US board certified (American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology certified) Neurologist. He is a Epilepsy specialist & Parkinson’s specialist practicing in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
2nd floor, Thakur Arcade,
Viva Super Market,
Virar West, Virar,
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar became a doctor after he graduated MBBS from Seth G.S. Medical College and K.E.M. Hospital scoring first class in all subjects including distinctions. He then obtained his Master in Health Sciences degree from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Dr. Kharkar then pursued post graduate training in Internal Medicine at Washington Hospital Center / Georgetown University, Washington DC, USA. Next, he completed a residency in neurology at Drexel University in Philadelphia, USA.
After finishing his residency, he pursued a 2 year fellowship in Epilepsy at the University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), one of the most renowned centers for epilepsy treatment in the world. Recently, he completed a clinical attachment in movement disorders and Parkinson’s disease at King’s college in London, again a world-renowned center for movement disorders.
Dr. Kharkar was part of the epilepsy faculty at University of Alabama at Birmingham and was in-charge of the epilepsy division at the Veterans Affairs (Ex-Army) hospital at Birmingham.
He has published numerous research papers in international journals, and has been on the review board of multiple internationally renowned journals including “Annals of Neurology” and “Neurosurgery”.
Dr. Kharkar returned back to India after a successful career abroad with the strong desire of serving his fellow countrymen, and an intense motivation to contribute in advancing neurological care and research in India.
- MBBS – King Edward Memorial Hospital, Mumbai, India
- MHS – Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA
- Research Coordinator, Department of Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA
- Residency in Internal Medicine – Washington Hospital Center, Washington DC, USA
- Residency in Neurology – Drexel University, Philadelphia, USA
- Fellowship in Epilepsy – University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), USA
- Clinical attachment in Movement disorders, Kings College, London, UK
- Assistant Professor of Epilepsy, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), Birmingham, USA
- Consultant Neurologist, Wockhardt Group of Hospitals, Mumbai, India
Invited Reviewer for the following journals:
- Journal of Parkinson’s disease
- Epilepsy Research
- Annals of Neurology
- Journal of Neurosurgery
- Kharkar, S., Ellenbogen, J. R., Samuel, M., Rizos, A., Silverdale, M., Chaudhuri, K. R., & Ashkan, K. Changes in Parkinson’s disease sleep symptoms and daytime somnolence after bilateral subthalamic deep brain stimulation in Parkinson’s disease. NPJ Parkinson’s Disease, 2018, 4, 16
- Kharkar S, Knowlton RD: Magnetoencephalography in the presurgical evaluation of epilepsy. Epilepsy and Behavior. 2014 Dec 30. pii: S1525-5050(14)00648-9
- Kharkar S, Rochestie D, Pillai J, Haneef Z: Anti-epileptic Drug Prescription Patterns and Socio-economic status– Seizure. 2014 Apr;23(4):290-4
- Kharkar S, Venkatesh YS, Grothusen JR, Rojas L, Schwartzman RJ. Skin biopsy in complex regional pain syndrome: case series and literature review. Pain Physician. 2012 May-Jun;15(3):255-66.
- Kharkar S, Ambady P, Yedatore YV, Schwartzman RJ: Intramuscular Botulinum Toxin A (BtxA) in Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: Case series and Literature Review – Pain Physician. 2011 May;14(3):311-6.
- Kharkar S; Hernandez R; Batra S, Metellus P, Hillis A; Williams MA; Rigamonti D. Cognitive Impairment in patients with Idiopathic Pseudotumor Cerebri Syndrome – Behavioral neurology, 2011 Jan 1;24(2):143-8.
- Metellus P, Batra S, Kharkar S, Kapoor S, Weiss S, Kleinberg L, Rigamonti D. Fractionated conformal radiotherapy in the management of cavernous sinus Meningiomas: long-term functional outcome and Tumor control at a single institution. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Nov 1; 78(3):836-43.
- Kapoor S, Batra S, Carson K, Shuck J, Kharkar S, Gandhi R, Jackson J, Wemmer J, Terezakis S, Shokek O, Kleinberg L, Rigamonti D: Long-Term Outcomes of Vestibular Schwannomas Treated With Fractionated Stereotactic Radiotherapy: An Institutional Experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Sep 29 (epub ahead of print).
- Metellus P, Kapoor S, Kharkar S, Batra S, Jackson JF, Kleinberg L, Miller NR, Rigamonti D. Fractionated Conformal Radiotherapy for Management of Optic Nerve Sheath Meningiomas: Long-Term Outcomes of Tumor Control and Visual Function at a Single Institution. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 2010 Apr 16 (epub ahead of print).
- Metellus P, Hsu W, Kharkar S, Kapoor S, Rigamonti D. Percutaneous Placement of Ventriculoatrial Shunt under Ultrasonography Guidance: A Retrospective Study at a Single Institution. Technical note. J Neurosurg 2009 May; 110(5):867-70.
- Kharkar S, Shuck J, Wang P, Rigamonti D, Williams MA: Radionuclide Shunt Patency Study for Evaluation of Suspected Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunt Malfunction in Adults with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Neurosurgery 2009 May; 64(5):909-16.
- Williams MA, Thomas G, DeLateur B, Imteyaz H, Rose G, Shore W, Kharkar S, Rigamonti D: Objective Assessment of Gait in Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2008 Jan;87(1):39-45.
- Kharkar S, Shuck J, Conway J, Rigamonti D: The natural history of conservatively managed symptomatic intramedullary spinal cord cavernomas. Neurosurgery, 2007 May;60(5):865-72
- Goodwin C, Kharkar S, Wang P, Pujari S, Rigamonti D, Williams MA: Evaluation and treatment of patients with suspected normal pressure hydrocephalus on long term warfarin anticoagulation therapy. Neurosurgery, 2007 Mar;60(3):497-501
- Characteristics and Reversibility of Dementia in Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus: Chaudhry P, Kharkar S, Heidler-Gary J, Hillis AE, Newhart M, Kleinman JT, Davis C, Rigamonti D, Wang P, Irani D, Williams MA, Behav Neurology, 2007;18(3):149-58.
- Metellus P, Kharkar S, Weiss S, Daniele R: Cavernous Sinus Meningiomas: Treatment Strategy in the Stereotactic Irradiation Era: A Review. Neurosurgery Quarterly, 2007 Sep 17:3, 226-234.
- Pillion JP, Kharkar S, Mahmood A, Moser H, Shimizu H: Auditory brainstem response findings and peripheral auditory sensitivity in adrenoleukodystrophy. J Neurol Sci 2006 Sep 25;247(2):130-7.
- Dubey P, Raymond GV, Moser AB, Kharkar S, Bezman L, Moser HW: Adrenal insufficiency in asymptomatic adrenoleukodystrophy patients identified by very long-chain fatty acid screening. J Pediatr 2005 Apr; 146(4):528-32.
B. Book Chapters:
- Metellus P, Kharkar S, Lin D, Rigamonti D: Cerebral Cavernous Malformations in “Stroke Syndromes” Editor: Louis Caplan, Cambridge University Press.
- Rochestie D, Kharkar S, Pillai J, Haneef Z: Anti-epileptic Drug Prescription Patterns and Socio-economic status– American Academy of Neurology, 2011
- Rigamonti D, Batra S, Kapoor S, Carson K, Shuck J, Kharkar S, Gandhi R, Jackson J, Wemmer J, Terazakis S, Shokek O, Kleinberg L, Marchionni L: A call for better definition of success and failure in radiosurgery for Vestibular Schwannomas – International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society, 2011
- Solomon D, Kharkar S, Rigamonti D, Williams MA Utility of the Tinetti as a Standardized Gait Assessment tool in Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. – American Academy of Neurology, 2009
- Fox JL, Kleinberg L, Kharkar S, Clatterbuck RE, Wang P, Wharam M: Radiosurgery alone for solitary and multiple brain metastasis. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2006 ASCO Annual Meeting Proceedings Part I. Vol 24, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement ) , 2006: 1541
- Shuck J, Kharkar S, Rigamonti D: Lesion location affects age of seizure onset in patients with intracranial cavernous malformations – 58th Annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurological surgeons, Apr 2006.
- Medina M, Kharkar S, Heidler J, Williams MA: Cognitive profile in the syndrome of hydrocephalus in young and middle-aged adults. – 58th Annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology, Apr 2006.
- Goodwin C, Kharkar S, Pujari S, Wang P, Williams M, Rigamonti D: Evaluation and treatment of patients on anticoagulation therapy for normal pressure hydrocephalus. Poster presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Kharkar S, Hernandez R, Shuck J, Rigamonti D, Williams M: Comparison of cerebrovascular risk factors in patients with suspected normal pressure hydrocephalus and population controls. Poster presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Kharkar S, Huang H, Mori S, Williams M, Rigamonti D: Diffusion-tensor MRI before and after CSF drainage trial in normal pressure hydrocephalus. Platform presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Pujari S, Kharkar S, Wang P, Rigamonti D, Williams M: Very long-term clinical course in normal pressure hydrocephalus. Poster presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Kharkar S, Pujari S, Williams M: Comparison of patients’ perception of cognitive impairment and performance on cognitive tests before and after shunt surgery for normal pressure hydrocephalus. Poster presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Wang P, Kharkar S, Rigamonti D, Williams M: Cognitive impairment in pseudotumor cerebri. Platform presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Williams M, Kharkar S, Wang P, Rigamonti D: Reliability of radionuclide shunt patency study for evaluation of suspected Ventriculo-peritoneal shunt malfunction in adults with normal pressure hydrocephalus. Poster presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
- Re-submitted: Medina M, Kharkar S, Heidler J, Williams M: Cognitive profile in the syndrome of hydrocephalus in young and middle-aged adults. Platform presentation, The International Congress on Hydrocephalus, Göteborg, Sweden, Sep 2006.
D. Acknowledgements in published manuscripts:
- Zhang J, Williams MA, Rigamonti D: Genetics of human hydrocephalus. J Neuro, (10):125566, 2006.
- Williams MA, Sharkey P, VanDoren D, Thomas G, Rigamonti D: Influence of Shunt Surgery on Health Care Expenditures of Elderly Fee-for-Service Medicare Beneficiaries with Hydrocephalus. J. Neurosurg, 107(1):21-8., 2007.
E. Publications comments / Letters to Editor:
- Kharkar S., Rigamonti D.: Comment in Stereotactic Ventriculo-Peritoneal Shunting for Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension: Neurosurgery. 60 (6):1039-1044, Jun 2007.
- Kharkar S., Conway J, Rigamonti D.: Comment in – Acute presentation of Spinal Epidural Cavernous Malformations Neurosurgery. 60(3):E575-E576, Mar 2007.
- Kharkar S, Conway J, Rigamonti D: Comment in – Lethal recurrent haemorrhages of a brainstem cavernoma – Comment in: Neurosurgical review 30(3) 259-262, Jul 2007.
This information is for educational purposes. It is not a substitute for professional medical diagnosis & treatment. Do not change your medications, supplements or other treatments without your doctor's permission.
Dr. Siddharth Kharkar
Dr. Kharkar is a Neurologist, Epilepsy specialist & Parkinson's specialist in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
He has trained in the best institutions in India, US and UK including KEM hospital in Mumbai, Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, University of California at San Francisco (UCSF), USA & Kings College in London.